Saturday, November 8, 2008

Getting Hit by a Brick

brick: 28 mile ride, 2 mile run

The scheduled workout was a 25 mile ride and a 4 mile run. I didn't think it would be that bad. It didn't seem like it would be that bad. Of course, I hadn't done much during the week.

I got started around 12:30, probably about when the wind started. It had been really nice and sunny that morning. It was no longer nice and sunny. I was cold throughout most of the ride. I always forget the booties...The wind held me at bay for a good portion of the ride. Had it not been for my Z3 segment, I may have averaged 10mph. Yes, I was that slow. I had 11 miles in Z3 that seemed to take forever. I finally finished that only to return to my 10mph pace. The ride ended up a little long. I didn't believe the Road Closed sign on 63rd. One of the signs made it seem like the road was only closed during the week, which is how they did it over the summer if I remember correctly, back when I was avoiding 63rd. But the sign was correct. The road was closed and I wasn't about to go off roading on my tri bike. So, turn around I did and hence the extra miles. Normally I don't mind a few extra miles, but today was not one of those days. 25 miles had already seemed long enough. If I hadn't been so cold, it would have been frustrating. I was just so slow. But I was too exhausted when I got home to care. Well, I cared enough to tell Matt that I didn't want to talk about it when he asked how my ride went.

I thought maybe I'd feel better during the run. I figured maybe I was more cold than tired and that I'd wake up with some Z3. Not quite. My feet were numb and I was really just plodding along trying to get some feeling in them. I was still cold and not getting any warmer. I turned around after a mile and headed home, deciding to call it a day. I figured with the extra miles on the bike I was still breaking even relatively speaking.

Getting back into shape sucks!

No comments: