Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Z3 Zen Moment

7.5 mile run, 30 mile ride
I think I had the most consistent run I've ever had. It was almost creepy. I had a 7.5 mile run, with 5.5 in Z3. I went out at lunch to try again with the heat. It actually wasn't bad, though it was a bit humid. Okay, it was a lot humid. I woke up tired and decided to risk the weather and push my ride to the evening. I wasn't sure how the run was going to go since they usually don't go well when I start the day off feeling tired.

After a mile, and already sweating like crazy, I started the Z3 set. My HR got up there pretty quickly because of the heat but I tried to settle in around mid-Z3 since I knew I'd be in high Z3 by the end. I settled in pretty quickly, but the pace seemed a little slow. Note: I typically do not look at pace until after my run is over. I have found that if I watch it as I'm running, I start to get annoyed if it's slower than I think it should be and I start to artificially raise my HR, which means I have to slow down more, which makes me more annoyed. It's a vicious cycle, so I don't look. Most of the time. Sometimes I cheat. But today I told myself that I wouldn't look. I was trying to apply my comments from the other day about trust. This was a training run, not a race, so I would stick to the workout. Anyhow, I was running along, feeling a little slow but breathing hard enough that accepted that this was today's Z3. I also thought I had a better chance of maintaining the pace with it feeling a little slow. After about a mile, I had the thought that I could really handle this pace. It was almost comfortable and I really felt like I was holding the pace steady. I think it was about as close to zen as one can get while running.

And then there was the cutest little old man. He was out the other day when I was running. He made me smile then and he did it again today. He was out for a walk on the trail, probably getting his daily exercise. He sees me coming and he raises up his fist, kind of pumping at the air, saying something like "Go! Go! Go". When I saw him the other day, I saw him twice - on my way out and then again on the way back. He cheered me on both times. And there he was cheering me on again today. I really couldn't help but smile. Here I am thinking I'm really not running so well and there he is thinking I'm doing great.
Sort of puts things into perspective. Sort of makes the run more worthwhile.

Anyhow, I finished up the Z3 and did a really slow (almost walk) cool-down. I got back to work and did some stretching outside. For once, and who knows the reason, I wasn't dying to see my times. I took my time and eventually made my way inside. At this point I finally looked. I was quite sure my Garmin was broken and that it was no longer looping through the laps. The Z3 splits: 8:21, 8:36, 8:34, 8:34, 8:34, 4:13 (8:28 pace). Seriously. Pretty cool.

I plodded through the rest of the day sort of dreading the ride. I was trying to decide if I should just skip it and do it tomorrow morning. It was very tempting, but so was the thought of being able to sleep in. When I got home, the weather was actually accommodating and there seemed to be little threat of rain or wind. I told myself that I really didn't have an excuse. Besides, Matt was getting a massage, so it wasn't like he'd be around. I decided to just do it.

The ride was definitely not a zen moment. It was more like an endless stream of the Random Thoughts of Jessica. I did Old Stage and then 35 minutes of climbing up towards Jamestown. Old Stage was hell, but it's always hell. I'm still waiting for the day when I get to the top and think "Hmmm, that actually wasn't so bad". I'm not there yet. The 35 minutes of climbing was tough. My legs were pretty shot from the run and I was just tired in general. I kept ping-ponging back and forth between feeling strong and feeling like I was riding through tar. I was about as anti-zen as one can get.

My streaming thoughts...Wow, I'm really tired. Is my tire getting low? I feel like I'm suddenly going really slow. No, the tires seem okay. Oh well, must be me. Time check. Still a ways to go. I wonder what I should have for dinner. There's that leftover pasta. That'll probably work. Why am I sweating so much? Time check. Nope, not yet. Matt's getting his massage right now. I'm jealous. I want a massage. My hamstring hurts. Why am I sweating so much? I'm dripping. How is this possible? It's not even that hot. I'm going to freeze on the way down. Why didn't I bring arm warmers. I hope I don't hit a bear. Time check. Nope, not yet. Hmm, I wonder if I should head up towards Ward instead of Jamestown. I've never been up that way. I think it gets steep. But I only have another 15 minutes or so. How hard can it be? Maybe I should just do Jamestown. At least I know this way in case my leg starts acting up. Jamestown it is then. Time check. And so on...

The rest of the ride continued in this manner and I seemed to be in constant battle with myself over something. It wasn't exactly enjoyable. But I'm working on trying to take something positive away from all of my workouts. So for the ride, here it is. There were some incredibly picturesque moments. The setting sun was peaking through the clouds and casting its light on the rocky hillsides. It was that sort of evening sunlight that makes everything look sort of mystical. I did think at one point that it would have been great if I had a camera. Why on earth I'd be carrying a camera on a ride didn't seem to be a concern. My positive moment was being able to turn my brain off for a few minutes every now and then to admire the scenery and feel grateful that all of this beauty is right outside my door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Snagged your blog from BJ's - good stuff. Will need to catch up on all of your random thoughts! Haha. Mike said you did great at Loveland! Ah, Olde Stage - did that little bastard 3 times yesterday. The third time is definitely the charm. haha... This weather sure is making it easy to get into z3/z4. Hang in there and keep up the great work!! Hope to see you soon to exchange training stories...this equates to: 8 weeks from tomorrow I am doing my first IM and I want to hear all about your first! haha.