Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pre-race (Non) Routine

3 mile run

Okay, so I wasn't supposed to do anything today except rest. But I woke up and felt a little anxious about having not run since Monday and expecting to do a 13 mile run tomorrow. My hamstring was not feeling great for much of the week, so yes, I'm a little hesitant about how it will go. I did have a good acupuncture session yesterday and I'm hoping that we're now back on the road to recovery. But I'd be absurd to think that everything was all better. 13 miles is kind of a long distance.

Against my better judgment, I decided to go on an easy 3 mile run. It was more for peace of mind and to just get an idea of how my legs were really feeling. The thing with the hamstring is that it really doesn't bother me when I run. But I still have that fear that it might. Anyhow, I just wanted to make sure that everything felt okay enough. And it did, but I just had to be sure.

I went off to packet pickup at 11 to try and figure out how exactly the relay worked. The people at registration weren't that helpful and couldn't really give us much more information. Fortunately there was one woman at the goody tent that was also doing the relay and she basically said that everything happens at our transition spot. We just hang out there until we are handed the timing chip and then off we go.

I came home and tried to relax but of course founds many ways to waste the day away. I am now starting to get ready for tomorrow, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. I really don't have much to pack. But I do have to figure out what I should be doing for the 3 hours or so that I'm waiting around. Do I eat at 6 like I normally do?
I guess I don't really have to worry about trying to force myself to eat at such an ungodly hour. But then I'll have to eat something else before the run. What and when should I do this? What if I drink too much since I'll just be sitting around waiting. Is it okay if I bring a book? Everything seems so far removed from my normal routine that it doesn't really feel like a race. But maybe that's okay. After all, I told myself that tomorrow I'll be out there to have fun.

No comments: