Saturday, June 19, 2010

What? Another Line? A Pre-race Report


I have never stood in so many lines for anything in my life. Here's a recap of packet pickup - an event in itself.

Line 1: The Big Black X
I got a call from Adam around 10:30a telling me I should get to the Res soon because the lines were already insane and there were only 2 people checking people in. So I got up from the couch and decided to go. Only I couldn't find my USAT card, which I just recently renewed. I know I put it in a good place, but that's my problem with my superb organizational system - it's such a good place that I can never find it. And usually when I do find it, I suddenly remember why I thought it was in such a good place the first time. I had no problem finding last years card - both the card and that keychain thing they give you as well. Maybe it's a hint that I should actually put it on my keychain. So after going through everything imaginable, I decided I just needed to print out a temporary card. I always have problems logging into the site - for some reason it just never recognizes my username and password and I have to find some backdoor approach. Well, I couldn't get in and I couldn't find the backdoor until I realized I was on some US Tennis site. After spending way too much time on this (I also had to hook up the printer), I finally had my temporary card. I got to the Res and the end of the line started at the finish line, then wrapped around the fencing, around the audience area of the stage, along a row of expo booths, and then around the corner. Thankfully I had sunscreen with me - I put it on immediately. Exactly what you want to do the day before a race: stand around in the hot sun. We were moving very slowly. As we got closer, we realized there was a second line. But for something else. We weren't allowed into the second line without first getting to the end of Line 1. It probably took an hour to get to the front of the line where a guy asked me my name, looked at my IDs, checked my name off of a list, asked where Adam was (since his name was right before mine), and then put a big X on my hand and told me to go to the other line. Seriously?

Line 2a: Waivers
Line 2 at least looked a lot shorter when we first discovered it. However, by the time we got in it, it had grown. By a lot. Everyone was complaining. The guy behind me had his two kids with him. The younger one was maybe 3. He did great. Right up until we were about to enter the tent (the end is near) and then just lost it. I really couldn't blame him. As I entered the tent, I was asked for my number. How the hell was I supposed to know that? I just got a X on my hand. Well, apparently we were supposed to look that up prior to entering the tent, only no one was communicating this. I found my number (1017) and got to the table. I gave them my number, showed them my ID again, and they gave me 2 pieces of paper. The first one was mostly pre-filled in and I was told to make sure it was accurate and to fill in the missing pieces. The second had my name and number printed on it, but was otherwise a standard waiver that had to be signed. I can guarantee you that almost everyone in the lines would have foregone the pre-filled forms and would have been happy to fill out all pieces of information, while standing in line, thereby reducing the number of stations for which we had to stand in line.

Line 2b: Filing
Papers were signed and delivered to the next station. Apparently at one point, you were not permitted to move to the next station until after they filed your papers (hence the pre-numbers???). Fortunately they realized that we'd still be standing in line well beyond the end of the race if they kept that up.

Line 2c: I must be a moron
The next stage was the big one. This was where I got what I had been waiting for all along - bib, stickers, swimcap. I was first asked for my ID. Really? It would have been nice if they had at least warned you to keep your ID out and available. I kept putting my back in my wallet and then my wallet back in the bottom of my bag. And then had to dig around for it later. I turned to the woman next to me, who was also very close to a meltdown, and sighed that we had to show our IDs. Again. She turned to her volunteer and asked if she needed her ID. When she said yes, she just threw her ID at her. She was done. Anyhow, after confirming that once I again I was me, I was handed a bag and swimcap and I started to turn to leave. I was stopped. I was told that I must listen to this woman who would go over instructions quickly. Before she started, she held up a piece of paper and said that if I forgot anything she said, I could refer to this piece of paper that had the SAME EXACT INFORMATION that she was about to go over. Do I really need to listen to you if 1) I've done this before and 2) I can read it for myself in the comfort of my own home where I'm out of the heat and off of my feet? The answer was yes. And she was anything but quick. You have two bibs, one for the bike and one for the run. Do you have a race belt? Oh you do, well, then you'll have an extra bib. Okay now, this number is going to go on your helmet. And this number is going to blah, blah, blah. Got it. Can I go now? Finally I was excused to...

Line 2d: I paid for what?
All this money. All this time in line. And I get a crappy cotton t-shirt.

Welcome to corporate racing. I'm bringing a chair for the Peak.

No comments: