Monday, May 25, 2009

Bolder Bouder Race Report

This will be my shortest race report ever. Refer to my last posting on why. I have about 3 minutes free each day...

Anyhow, I had a 100+ mile ride on Saturday. Because of the weather, I got about 75 in outside and then came back to the trainer. That is dedication. But whatever, the ride sucked. I'm getting slower with each ride. At some point I should go through my recent LT test results, but since it couldn't explain anything, it may not really make much sense.

My legs and butt hurt on Sunday. It's funny, I usually spend the Memorial Day weekend planting and am always sore Monday morning for the BB. But it's arms and back and things I forget can get sore. But no planting this weekend since I was too busy sitting on the bike. So it was just the legs and butt that were sore at the start of the race.

Like Adam, I did a 3 mile warm-up, way more than I usually do, but I guess when you're used to going so long, 3 miles becomes nothing. I really wasn't looking forward to the race. I'm just not into Z4. If it were Z3, I might not have minded. I actually started thinking that it would be nice to be with the M's or the walkers or some other group that would just mosey through the race to do it and have fun. But who am I kidding...there's no way I could go that easy.

The race started, mass amounts of people started moving, and I just went along with them. This year was the first year I wore a watch with the hopes of actually trying to follow my zone plans. It didn't work. I don't think I hit mid Z4 until the end and I should have been approaching it somewhere between 2 and 3. My legs hurt and I didn't go all out (not sure if I can ever go all out). I finished a minute slower than last year, which means back to the C waves. It was disappointing since my running has been getting better and I would have liked additional confirmation. I know I was coming off the long ride, and I got a work call at 11:30 Sunday night, but I was still hoping for something better.

After the race, I still had another 9 or so miles to do, so Adam and I ran home. My knees and IT band started aching partyway through and I'm hoping it's just because of the massive amounts of activity I've done over the last few days. We'll see...I have another race on Saturday and will be doing a bit more resting.

As for the BB, I guess there's always next year.

No comments: