Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm Back...

Disclaimer: I am a dork. And I am a bit meticulous. I know this already. You do not need to remind me.

No more excuses. The move is over and done with. The unpacking isn't, but I have way more time to take care of that. And there's no hurry considering I know where everything is. I have already been made fun of by so many people that I no longer have issue with discussing my packing strategy. For the anal triathletes out there, you may appreciate it. Usually I label (and colorcode) boxes based on where they need to end up in the new place. This year, I went several steps further. I had a spreadsheet. So, not only was each box labeled and colorcoded, but each box was also numbered. The spreadsheet then allowed me to put all sorts of details as to what went into the box. Instead of "Dishes", I would put things like "Plates, bowls, serving bowls" and so on. Since I was reusing boxes with other peoples writing all over it, this just seemed like a better idea (at one point a box may have been for bath for one move and office for the next move, and so on). My goal was to try and avoid boxes labeled Miscellaneous because these drive me crazy. This came in especially handy several times:

1. After "thinking ahead" while packing up dry food items, I left out a few things for dinner to cover a few days. This included a can of black beans for quesadillas
. Several nights later when I went to make said quesadillas, I realized I had no can opener. Fear not, said the spreadsheet. It's in Box 49. Okay, you're thinking that's not such a big deal because the whole box was probably utensils, which it pretty much was. But how about this...
2. The first night in the new place, Matt and I collapsed into bed. A few hours later we awoke, having not really been asleep due to the screamingly quietness of the place. The humidifier HAD to come out for background noise if we were going to get some sleep. Box 77. We were back in bed within minutes. Perhaps a little more impressive? It's not like I had a whole box full of humidifiers - this actually turned out to be a miscellaneous box (there was a lampshade and cowboy hat as well and you really can't label that anything but miscellaneous). But again, there wasn't a lot of stuff in it since the humidifier did take up a bit of room. So the grand finale...
3. I went for a ride on Sunday. I had a whole box for workout clothes because they are so important. But inevitably something gets left out. In this case, my leg warmers, which I found on the floor in the back of my closet when I thought I had finished packing the closet. These ended up in another miscellaneous box only because it did not occur to me to just open the workout clothes box and throw them in (moving brain will do that to you). But fear not. I knew they were in Box 78 and wasted all of about a minute in getting ready for my ride.

So I'm not too concerned with holding off on the unpacking. If I need something, chances are that I'll know exactly where to find it. I strive for a box or two a night and have fallen short a box or two the past two nights. But oh well. That's just how it goes.

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE the new house! Training has sort of been on the back burner, but I'll try and get to that soon.

No comments: