Saturday, June 21, 2008

5430 Sprint Race Report, Boulder CO

75om swim, 40K bike, 10K run
Now that it's a few days past, I guess I can say that overall it went well. About 2 minutes faster than last year. Initially I was disappointed with my time because it felt like I was going much harder, especially on the bike. Despite the wind, I actually felt like I was going strong and hard and I actually passed people. So I was a little disappointed that my time was just slightly above last year's time (52:36 versus 53:52). It is still unclear to me how I was able to be about 1.5 minutes faster 3 years ago. I think the other reason I was initially disappointed was that I was the first women's wave to go off, so there weren't a ton of women in front of me - the people that were faster than me in my age group and some really fast women in the later waves that passed me on the bike. When I got to the run, since it's out and back, you can see everyone. As I left the transition for the run, I heard them announce that a woman still had not crossed the finish line. So, during the run, I was able to see how many women were in front of me, and there weren't that many. I had completely forgotten about that fact that someone behind me could still finish faster than me. In the end, I finished 69th out of the women and made it into the Daily Camera (top 100 men and women finishers), so I can't complain too much.

Anyhow, the swim start was a little shaky. I don't like going in a clockwise direction since I breathe to my left. I started on the far left, but up front. When we started, for whatever reason, I wasn't quite going in the right direction. I couldn't see any of the buoys and then realized that I couldn't really see other swimmers in front of me. I finally looked right and saw everyone. So for that first leg, I was drifting a bit. Once I turned at the buoy things were fine and I stayed on course just fine. The swim itself was otherwise fine - I felt pretty good.

For once, I felt strong on the bike. I was able to stay in my big ring the entire race, even on the hills, so I was really happy about that. I was also passing people. I felt like I was able to keep my cadence up and was pretty happy with how things were going. The bad thing was that I did feel my hamstring a bit during the ride. It wasn't constant, but it did pop up occasionally.

My transitions were much smoother this year and I was off on the run pretty quickly. Immediately I felt kind of queasy. I hadn't eaten anything on the bike and only had water to drink and I wouldn't say that I drank a ton. I tried to stick to the every 15 minutes, but not having a watch, I did have to guess a little. The feeling eventually subsided maybe half a mile in, but it never completely went away. So much like the Bolder Boulder, I didn't feel like I could push much harder even though physically I knew I was capable. I still felt like I was moving at a decent clip since I was passing a lot of people. I was actually really surprised with my run time and it being as fast as it was. It definitely seemed slower at the time. Everyone said I looked really strong heading out on the run, so I must have faked it well.

Results:
Swim: 13:54
Bike: 52:36 (19.6 mph)
Run: 23:39 (7:38 min/mi)
Total: 1:33:06

division: 15/92
female: 69/~550
overall: 303/~1100

No comments: